Thursday, April 29, 2010

Overdue Update

It's been more than a week since my last post. Since then I have walked a half-marathon without keeling over, found out I was 2 weeks farther in my pregnancy than I thought, celebrated my 39th and Garrett's 14th birthdays. Oh, this blog is about Hannah.

We weren't able to get the urine test because Hannah's pullup was always full when we tried to get her up. Furthermore, if we woke her up early she wouldn't go back to sleep at all. It just wasn't worth it considering Dr. Tami said that the blood test was the most important. So, Monday is the day for that. Thankfully, I'm not as worried about the blood test. After talking with a lady at LabCorp, I have a peace about it. I also know that people are praying for us. If I weren't going through this trial would I personally experience the love of God's people? That is certainly something to be thankful for.

Sunday, on the plane on the way home from Nashville, I had to fill out an assessment for Hannah's behavioral therapy services. I went into the pit. I had to think in detail as I do every six months about all the many things that she is not capable of doing. I just couldn't handle it. However, my sweet husband picked me up from the airport and took me out to dinner. That was nice and we talked about how I was feeling and the future, etc. The dinner turned out to be a temporary diversion, because for the next couple of days I was so depressed, I had to force myself to do everything that I needed to do including Hannah's exercises. Monday was hard because she did not cooperate at all. Garrett and I had to muscle her through every required movement of every exercise. Monday night was better because Steven was there and he was very positive and able to help me get through them more quickly and efficiently. Tuesday, Garrett pulled Hannah off the couch and she hit her head hard on the floor...that ended that session. Tuesday night, Steven actually got frustrated because Hannah was soooooo uncooperative and he was tired. I was so discouraged and was in utter despair. At Wednesday morning Bible study the Holy Spirit began to speak to my heart as He always does at the perfect time. He said through Tim Keller and my sweet sisters in Christ, "Jesus is all you need". "Jesus should be my joy." Of course intellectually I know that; however, sometimes I hold on so tightly to this world that I forget what my purpose is. I forget what Hannah's purpose is. I want Him to be my all in all. How could he be that if I never suffered? What would make me want Him if this life was easy?

I went home from Bible study so refreshed after talking with some of the ladies. Much of my energy came back, the pregnancy sickness was over (I'm right at 10 weeks). I felt like I could go on another day and actually go on with joy and cheerfulness that I so longed for. The sprinkles on the cupcake - God is so loving and gave us a special gift that day: Hannah always rides her bike with training wheels and does very well. Garrett and I were playing basketball and Hannah was riding her bike and I looked at her and noticed that she was not actually using her training wheels. She was totally balancing herself on her bike!! That is huge for her!

Thursday night was the highlight of the first week of exercises. We did the Snow Angel with Hannah and she was completely cooperative! We gave her a break and she immediately got down on the floor and started doing the Snow Angel herself! We are still so elated! If Hannah keeps up this pace, she will be ready for the harder sensory-motor exercises in no time! Thank you, God! And thank you, my sweet friends and family, for praying for us!

3 comments:

  1. That is so wonderful! Praying that she just continues to learn and grow and balance.

    I'm glad that Wednesday was uplifting for you. That is my prayer for study days.

    9-1-7 Kari

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope she makes progress like these everyday and still continues to grow as a person..!!
    Cultivating Emotional Balance

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really happy for Hannah, i Hope she makes more progress in the future..!!
    Brain Balance Program at Home

    ReplyDelete